Monday, July 25, 2011

Wow...exciting news!

July 25, 2011

Wow! That is some pretty exciting news that dad is now the bishop.  When I heard that our ward still didn’t have a bishop I had the feeling that it was going to be dad so I guess I wasn’t too taken away by surprise.  That should definitely make things different around the house for the next few years haha.  But it should be another learning experience for our family.  God gives us responsibilities so that we can grow.  Sounds like the 24th of July parade was pretty exciting too.  Sometimes it’s weird do be down here on holidays we celebrate up there because everyone up there is celebrating and no one here knows anything about it haha.  It’s been another busy week here in Leon though.  On Monday we left at about 2 to go to San Luis Potosi which is like 2.5 hours away.  On the way we stopped at this super good restaurant out in the middle of nowhere (literally there was nothing around).  It was this all you can eat barbecue place and wow I think it was probably the best meat that I have tried down here in Mexico.  We then went to the district meetings there in San Luis and after I went back to good old Prados (my last area) and visited some converts.  Alot of them weren’t home but I was able to visit Reynaldo and Liliana.  It was pretty cool to see them and they are progressing really good still.  Reynaldo was called as assistant to the ward mission leader and his wife was called as a ward missionary so they are now visiting people as a family which is really awesome.  As well, Liliana was able to go to the temple like a week ago to do the work for her grandma that passed away a while ago.  They are still planning on getting sealed next march.  Pres. Del Valle was there when they said that and he told me to extend my mission so that I can go see them get sealed.  I don’t know how that would work with school and everything but it would be pretty cool to be able to see them get sealed.  The next day we had a zone conference there in San Luis and had 3 zones there together so there was alot of missionaries there.  Then after, we did some interchanges with the zone leaders there and Elder Braithwaite from Texas came back with me to Leon.  We worked all day together on Wednesday and was with my companion again on Thursday.  Then Friday we went to another zone conference in Celaya and got back late Friday night.  Despite all the disruption in the normal work routine we were able to see the hand of the Lord here in our area.  We originally had 2 baptisms planned for last Saturday but a lady (Maricela) that was going to get baptized fell and scraped her back really bad apparently so she was under doctor’s orders not to get her back wet and the other lady (Rosa) wanted to get baptized with her so we postponed the baptism for a week.  But, we had a miracle baptism this week, there is this family that lives in our ward boundaries but goes to church in the morning ward because they have to work in the afternoons.  It turns out that they have a niece (Chloe) that lives with them that wasn’t a member but had been going to church with them for like 2 months.  I didn’t know her but I guess Elder Martinez had taught her a little before I got here.  Anyways last Sunday she decided she wanted to get baptized so we went over everything again and she was able to get baptized on Saturday.  It was a really special baptism and the Spirit was really strong.  She is a little slow mentally but has a lot of faith in Christ and was really happy after the baptismal service.  Also something really cool that happened is that Azalea´s sister finally accepted her baptismal date for next Saturday (Azalea was baptized like 3 weeks ago) she finally started reading the book of Mormon and praying and is really progressing so finally after alot of effort she is going to get baptized.  Well, I don't have too much time right now because I have to take off to Aguascalientes in a few minutes. We have a zone conference there tomorrow.

Scripture 3 Nephi 17:7 "Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or leprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will heal them, for I have compassion upon you; my bowels are filled with mercy." 

I love this verse and the invitation that it has.  If we will just humble ourselves and come unto Christ he can really heal us.  This week we had a really special experience.  We were walking down the road and I contacted a lady that was sitting outside her house and asked if we could pass by a different day to share a message.  She agreed and then after my companion asked her if there was anyone else that she knew that we could visit.  She said that the lady that lived in front of her was really sick and was probably going to die soon.  We knocked on the door and some older man came out and said that we couldn't go in because his wife was about to die.  We really felt that the family needed us though so we persisted and finally I just asked for a glass of water and he agreed and then we asked if we could step in and he let us and then a daughter came out and was pretty stressed out and was a little short with us but we finally convinced her to let us have 30 seconds to share a scripture.  We shared Alma 7:11-12 (“And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.  And he will take upon him death that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.”) and the spirit was super strong.  The mom was on her last moments of life and it was her time to go but I know that we were guided there to help her daughter who was feeling hopeless.  Christ really loves us and really cares for us if we will just let him.  This church is true, I know it.

Love,
Elder Price

No comments: