Monday, July 18, 2011

2 Baptisms!

July 18, 2011
2 Baptisms!

Howdy ya’ll... well another super fast, crazy week haha.  Like I said last Monday, in the afternoon on Monday we went to Irapuato to see how they were doing their district meetings.  My companion and I went with the president’s family up there so after his daughters convinced him to by us some snow cones so that was pretty funny haha.  Then the next day we had to go back to Irapuato early to have a zone conference there.  It was my first one so I was a little bit nervous but it turned out well.  I spoke about the importance of the Spirit and my companion about how to better help people make and keep commitments.  Then after the conference we did divisions with the zone leaders there and my companion went back to Leon with one of the missionaries and stayed in Irapuato.   Irapuato is a pretty cool city.  It’s a little bit smaller than Leon and the people are super nice and really receptive to the gospel.  It’s also famous for its strawberries so I had a few haha.  While I was there I had the opportunity to do some interviews and teach some pretty good people. Wednesday night I went back to Leon, it’s about an hour bus ride.  Then on Thursday was the baptism of Martina and her daughter Jasmine.  It was a pretty cool baptism and there were quite a few people there including 2 investigators that as well committed to getting baptized after they saw the baptism.  We have definitely been seeing alot of miracles here especially since we are never even in our area to work.  On Friday we had another zone conference but with the 2 zones here in Leon.  I’m not going to lie; this time I did alot better with my presentation.  But then like halfway through the conference we get a call from a missionary named Elder Florez who was sitting in the airport and had been there waiting for 2 hours.  The people in Mexico City I guess forgot to tell us he was coming haha.  Sounds like a mini version of "the other side of heaven" haha.  So my companion and I took off to go pick him up.  He’s from Columbia and had been waiting for his visa for like 3 months so he was pretty excited to get here.  We had some extra missionaries here on Saturday so my companion and I both grabbed a missionary and split up all day to cover more ground.  It was pretty fun to work with a new elder with new ideas.  Then yesterday was Sunday.  We had a really cool experience as well.  Elder Florez and I went to the ward council meeting and then after we had like an hour before the services started.  We were just sitting in the church when I got a feeling that we needed to leave the church and contact people.  We just started walking around the block but there was hardly anybody walking out in the street.  As we were passing a cross street, I looked up the street and saw some guy just sitting on the ground.  I had the strongest feeling that I needed to go talk to him.  I started talking to him and asked if he had ever seen missionaries like us before and he said that he had here in Mexico and also in the U.S.  So then I asked where in the U.S. and he said in the state of Idaho.  I was a little surprised at his answer and told him that I was from Pocatello, Idaho.  He started saying that he was there as well.  I then asked what he did for his job there and he said he worked with potatoes.  So I asked him if he lived in a small little town called American Falls and he said that he did.  So the next question I asked was if he had worked for Driscoll’s and yep, he had.  So by this time I was kind of freaking out a little bit haha.  He was a little drunk but I bore my testimony to him that I knew that God had guided me to him and I gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon (when I left the church all I brought with me was 1 copy of the Book of Mormon) and took down his address.  But I definitely know that I was guided to that guy, Javier is his name.  So it was really cool to be a tool in the Lord’s hand in finding him.  He doesn’t live in my area but I passed the address to the Elders there and also took down his information because he is going up to Idaho again in December but with his whole family... so yep that was the awesome experience of the week haha.   This next week should be busy as well with a zone conference tomorrow in San Luis, we are actually going to leave here at about noon to go up there, and then a zone conference on Friday in Celaya and if everything goes as planned, the 2 people who went to the baptism last week should be getting baptized on Saturday.  So yep another busy week coming up for us haha.

3 Nephi 13: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. 21) For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.  -  
I was reading this scripture last night and it really jumped out to me.  Sometimes in this life we lay up treasures here on earth that are usually things that don’t really matter in the long run.  Sometimes we focus on the things of life too much that we don’t lay up treasures in heaven.  It also reminds me alot of the John Tanner movie where he gives up absolutely everything for the benefit of the church and was still happy about it.  If we focus on what’s really important we can really be happy in this life and also in the life to come.
Love ya´ll,

Elder Price
p.s. the church is true!!

Martina and Jasmine

No comments: