Monday, April 4, 2011

General Conference

April 4, 2011



I hope you can all see the little waving smiley face haha. Well this week has been a good one for me and Elder Preece. I still think it's pretty crazy that we're together but it has been really fun. The best is trying to see people tell us apart because our names sound almost exactly the same to them. Alot of people ask if we are brothers or cousins haha. But this week we have really been trying to put an example to the rest of the zone by being even more obedient. We're hoping that by doing this we'll be able to show the zone the importance of obedience because alot of times that is not a big issue to some of the missionaries. Also this week we really tried focusing on getting investigators to general conference. That turned out to be more difficult than we thought because the stake center where they show the conferences is quite a ways away from our area. We had alot of people who committed to going but almost all of them for some reason or another couldn't go. We also tried to encourage the other elders in the zone to work hard to get people to conference and had a little competition with them. We told them that the companionship that brought the most people to church would win homemade brownies from us (oh by the way I found the MP3 players haha) and we told the elders in Matahuala that if they won we would buy them pizza the next time we went up there. Luckily the ones in Matahuala one so we didn't end up having to make brownies haha. But I think it might have encouraged them a little more knowing that as well as receiving spiritually blessings for working hard that they would receive temporal blessings as well haha. We had the opportunity to help the sister missionaries with a baptism this past week as well. On Thursday night we went to do an interview for a lady (Sabrina) that was going to get baptized the next day and while my comp was interviewing the lady I started talking with her husband (Cesar). Some how we got on the subject on the gospel (sarcasm added here haha) and we started talking about eternal families. He was really receptive and really seemed like he wanted to have that opportunity. Another side note on their situation was that they weren't legally married so they were going to get married the next day before the wife got baptized. Anyways when my companion finished we went to leave and I don't know why but I told the guy that I wanted to be there when he got baptized in the future. He looked pretty surprised and kind of laughed a little but he invited us to their wedding the next day. We told him we probably weren't going to go because we already had plans for the next morning. So then later in the night we were planning and we both felt like we needed to go to the wedding the next day. We didn't know why but we felt like it was more important than what we had planned so we made arrangements to go. The wedding us at noon at was just a simple little service done by a judge. After they invited us to eat lunch with them but again we declined and said we needed to go back to our area. But then a few minutes later again we felt like we needed to go eat lunch with them so we went. We had a nice little lunch with them and then went back to our area for our lunch appointment. Right after we got done eating we received a phone call from the sister missionaries and it was pretty surprising. They told us that Cesar had just asked if he could get baptized with his wife. We were a little shocked because previously he hadn't shown any interest at all in getting baptized. Then they said something that was also surprising, they said that he said he wanted to get baptized by elder oldsprice (I have to admit that was a first being called that haha) so we called up the president to see if we could do it and he said that as long as he passed the interview it was fine. So yep long story short I ended up baptizing Cesar and another elder baptized his wife. I also had the opportunity to interview him beforehand it was a really cool experience as well because he pretty much bore his testimony about his desire to be with his family forever. So I was definitely able to feel how miraculously the spirit can change the hearts of men. The Spirit is true and really we can't do this work without it. I'm glad that we were able to be doing the things that were right so that we were able to help this man and his family take steps of faith. I'll send some pics of the family. The two oldest kids are crazy just so you all know haha they have more energy that any kids I have ever met I’m pretty sure.

Ether 12.26 "Fools mock but they shall mourn" this is something good to keep in mind. I like something that was send in conference about how living the standards of the church is not the most popular thing to do. We always need to remember that the only thing that really matters is doing what God commands us to do. We might not be that "cool' but we won't be one of the fools that will mourn in the last days. One phrase I hear alot is that "well everyone else does it". Even when this is the case, it doesn't make it right.

Love ya all,

Elder Price


P.S. La iglesia es verdadera!

No comments: