Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter is on the way!

April 18, 2011

Hello ya'll from "the other side" as they say down here.  Well this has been an interesting week for Elder Preece and I.  We’ve had some ups and downs but for the most part it has been a good week.  Like I was saying last week we went up to the little ranch town of Matehuala last Monday.  We had a training meeting with them and talked about how we could help them out the best.  It’s pretty interesting because there are 4 missionaries there and all of them have less than 8 months in the mission including 2 Americans one that has 5 months named Elder Broadbent and another named Elder Zeally who has like a month her in Mexico.  So they are pretty inexperienced but also have the desire which is what counts. Then after the meeting we ordered some pizza for them because the won the competition in bringing people to general conference.  Just so you all know there is a pizza place that is absolutely amazing.  It´s called pizza clasics and it is only like 100 pesos or 9 dollars for a pretty good sized pizza.  I had a pretty cool experience the next day there in Matehuala though.  Just so you have some background information, like a month ago an elder that is from Matehuala that is part of the Veracruz mission went to San Luis because he was sick or something, his name is Elder Rocha. Anyways, we were working there in Matehuala and we were walking down the street when some kid came and chased us down and said his grandma wanted to talk with us.  So we went to the lady’s house and found some disgruntled looking middle-aged women.  We asked her what she needed and then she kind of started going off on us and said that about 3 months ago her grandson took off for no reason to Veracruz to be a missionary.  She told us his name was Elder Rocha and it was then that I remembered that he had stayed the night at our house a month ago.  I was able to bear testimony to her that I had met her grandson and that he was a really good missionary and was helping to change peoples´ lives.  Her heart softened when she found out I knew him and she let us in and we were able to teach her about the restoration of the gospel.  It was pretty cool because we were able to explain to her that the message we were sharing was the exact same message that her grandson was teaching.  So the elders up there are going to teach her and hopefully she will open her heart and accept the gospel.  It just goes to show that God works in mysterious ways.  Her in San Luis though it was a little difficult this week.  The older couple I talked about last week had a complete change of mind and decided that they no longer want to listen to us anymore so that was really disappointing.  I hope that we can somehow get them interested again because they we really awesome investigators.  We worked really hard though and did our best but I can definitely say that the results of the week didn’t turn out as I had hoped.  We had 17 people committed to going to church on Saturday but only 3 people ended up going.  I think part of it had to do with the fact that one of the neighborhoods here didn’t have power all night but who knows.  We haven’t been able to find Adrian all week which worries me but another investigator named Fernando lives a few houses from him and he was telling us that he seems like he is doing pretty good.  So we are really hoping we can find him this week and put a baptismal date with him.  Right now it is kind of interesting with us because we have like 7 people that complete the requirements of baptism but for some reason or another do not want to get baptized.  We are having zone conference this week and the assistants and president are coming up so I’m hoping that they can come and talk with some of our more difficult investigators haha.  But we’re doing good here just enjoying every minute of it.  

Scripture:  Ether 12:27 “And if men come unto me I will show them their weakness.  I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.”God gives us weaknesses to make us stronger.  When we shirk when trials enfrent us then we don’t grow but if we are faithful the Lord will use these trials to make us stronger.

Love ya all
Elder Price
P.S. the church is true! 

No comments: