Monday, March 14, 2011

News from Tacolandia

March 14, 2011

Hola ya’ll well we had another good week here in San Luis.  First off though I’ll tell the story that I started telling last week but didn’t have time to tell.  So like a week and a half ago we were walking down the street trying to figure out what we were going to do with the little time we had left before lunch when we saw some guy standing on the sidewalk.  We both got the impression that we needed to talk to him and we walk up to him and he started talking to us in perfect English.  He explained to us that he was a little drunk but really needed our help.  He had talked to the missionaries a while back in Texas so he knew who we were.  We went to his house and it just smelt like alcohol really hardcore.  We started teaching him about Jesus and how we can be happier when we keep the commandments and we found out that his girlfriend and left him a while back and was feeling really bad and had been drinking for like a week straight.  At the end of the lesson he said he really wanted our help to stop drinking so we asked him if he had any alcohol in the house and he brought out a brand new bottle of vodka.  We then asked if he would dump it down the drain.  At first he didn’t want to but he ended up doing it.  We then gave him a priesthood blessing and told him not to drink and that we would come back the next day.  When we came by the next day he wasn’t home but then during lunch I got a phone call and it was him.  He wanted us to go visit him but we weren’t able to because we had to go do an interview for some other elders but I invited him to a baptism we were having later in the day.  He agreed to go and then there was a pause and he asked me if he would be able to get baptized.  So I ended up putting a baptismal date over the phone haha.  Pretty cool.  He hasn’t been able to go to church still though so we are really trying to help him go to church so he can get baptized.  So yep that happened like a week and a half ago.  This week was pretty good for us though and we were able to get 2 baptisms.  Two granddaughters of a member were baptized. One is 12 and the other is like 8.  I baptized the 8 year old and it was pretty embarrassing because her foot came out of the water twice so I had to baptize her 3 times.  So I felt pretty bad about that.  As well we had 5 people that came to church and have 1 for sure baptism this week and 2 possible.  The for sure person is named Lili and is really awesome.  Her husband was baptized about 8 years ago but went in-active and barely came back to church.  We baptized her son Diego last week as well.  What is cool though is that her husband, Reynaldo just got the priesthood yesterday so he is going to be able to baptize her.  One of the possible baptisms name is Kael.  He was actually an old investigator from January that was really cool but wasn’t able to go to church.  We received a text message though during the week and he said that he had changed his work schedule so that he could come to church.  He is 19 and really has alot of potential.  They other possible is named Seleni.  She is a cousin of the two girls we baptized last week.  So we are still working hard trying to get our goal of 15 baptisms this month.  If all goes well we should be able to get it still.  Well, just know this church is true.  I get to see the evidences of it everyday.  Real quick one experience we had last week.  We were teaching this guy who is a 7th day Adventist that is 21 years old.  This guy knows the bible so well it is ridiculous so he has alot of doubts about Joseph Smith and the church and how it doesn’t go along with what is written in the bible.  So he was pretty much just bashing on the church for like 15 minutes and wouldn’t give us time to speak or anything.  I’ll admit I was getting a little frustrated but he finally paused for a second so I told him I wanted to ask him a question.  I asked if he believed God answers prayers.  He told me of course he believed that, so then I asked if he had asked God if Joseph Smith was a prophet.  He thought about it for a minute and said that he hadn’t.  It was just really cool how the whole lesson changed after that and we committed him to read more in the Book of Mormon and pray and ask God.  That is one thing I love about our message though is that you don’t have to believe us.  It sounds weird but it’s true.  We don’t want the people to believe us.  We just want them to ask God so they can know for themselves.  So yeah the gospel is awesome.

Alma 30:8 “Choose ye this day whom ye will serve.”  This is a question that we have to ask ourselves every day.  Are we going to serve God or Satan?

Love you all like a fat kid loves cake,
Elder Price







Baptisms!


No comments: