November 29, 2010
Hola ya`ll hope you all had a good thanksgiving!! Thanksgiving is actually not celebrated at all in this part of Mexico haha so we did absolutely nothing special. It has really been hot down here the past couple of days here so that makes up for the turkey a little bit haha. But this week has been interesting trying to get used to the changes that come with being district leader. It definitely cuts down on the time I used to have because I have to call the three other companionships every night to get their numbers and check how they are doing. This week I think I’m going to go to Leon for a couple of days to get some training so that’ll be good to finally really figure out what I’m supposed to be doing haha. But this week went fairly well for us. Victor decided he still needs some more time before he gets baptized so we’re putting his baptism on hold for a while, but we have one person we are going to try and baptize this week, Octavio is his name. He went like 2 weeks ago to church and also went yesterday. He is a pretty scary looking guy not going to lie haha. I’m going to have to try and get a picture of him. But he is like 6 feet tall and really ripped and always wears wife-beaters so he looks pretty intimidating. He’s a good guy and wants to change his life though. Another cool thing happened this week though. We have been trying to work more with the members and with the less active members and we had a really cool experience this week. We went out to visit some less active members who live out in the boonies one day in the week and invited them to come back to church. One of them was a lady who got baptized because her husband was mormon but stopped going to church when they got divorced... which was like 18 years ago haha. So we went and talked to her a little bit and she told us that she didn’t have enough money to pay for the bus. I told her that if she really had the desire to go to church, God would provide a way so that she could go. But lo and behold, we were sitting in the chapel right before church started and we get a phone call and it just happens to be her. So we went and met her and her daughter at the bus stop and they came to church with us. After church, we went and visited her again and she told us how good she felt to go to church again and that she was going to keep going to church. We’re also going to try and baptize her 18 year old daughter. It just goes to show you that really this is the work of the Lord and miracles really do happen. But yeah all in all I’d have to say I’m loving it down here in Mexico, it is a little weird thinking that it is Christmas in a month and it is still like 90 degrees everyday. But the mission really is awesome. And it does not feel like I have been gone for 9 months haha.
Scripture of the week: Mosiah 4:6-7 “I say unto you, if ye have come to a knowledge of the goodness of God, and his matchless power, and his wisdom, and his patience, and his long-suffering towards the children of men; and also, the atonement which has been prepared from the foundation of the world, that thereby salvation might come to him that should put his trust in the Lord, and should be diligent in keeping his commandments, and continue in the faith even unto the end of his life, I mean the life of the mortal body— I say, that this is the man who receiveth salvation, through the atonement which was prepared from the foundation of the world for all mankind, which ever were since the fall of Adam, or who are, or who ever shall be, even unto the end of the world.” This scripture talks about that after we know these things are true (the gospel) we still need to endure to the end or we won’t receive salvation. This is a terrible example but it reminds me a little bit of "Finding Nemo" when the fish says over and over again "just keep swimming, just keep swimming" (by the way I have not seen that movie lately haha) but it is true, the only thing that we can do in this life is continue doing what we need to do until the end. Well love you all and hope you have a great week!!
Love,
Elder Price
No comments:
Post a Comment