Monday, September 6, 2010

The Word

September 6, 2010

Hola familia!! Week 1 with Elder McNeil went pretty good. We were able to have some good teaching experiences and find some people who are wanting to be baptized. We have 2 baptismal dates set for next week and one for the week after with another few who are possible. One of these 2 we have to get married to his spouse before we can baptize him so this could be interesting because he leaves to go work in Chihuahua for a month and a half on Sept. 16 and he doesn’t have any form of ID so we could definitely use your prayers for this situation. The other was someone really unexpected. He is the grandfather of the wife of the guy who needs to get married. (The wife is actually a recent convert that was able to be baptized a while back because they were separated for a while) But when I got to Guanajuato was actually when I first met the grandfather and he wanted absolutely nothing to do with the church. You could say he was very traditionalist with his catholic background. But this last week we saw the miracle of how the Spirit can change someone. We had been teaching the boyfriend of the member and he had been in the same room listening for quite a few of the lessons including a really spiritual one when the assistant was on splits with me (I’ll talk more about this later) but anyhow, we were sitting there talking in the lesson about the importance of going to church and I saw that he was listening pretty intently so I asked him if he was come to church with us as well. I have to admit I was pretty surprised when he said yes and was pretty sure about it too. We took him to church yesterday and he loved sacrament meeting even though there was about 20 people there and fast Sunday (pretty much all of us had the opportunity to bear our testimonies haha) but we talked to him about how he was feeling really good and peaceful so we took him up to the baptismal font and ask if he wanted to be baptized like his granddaughter was and he immediately told us that he does so that was really cool. But like I said before, the assistants came here to Guanajuato to do divisions with us while the president checked to see if our house was clean (don’t worry the lady who cleans our house had just finished cleaning it haha :)) But the assistants were getting pretty tired trying to keep up with us going up and down the hills so that was pretty funny. It was really cool thought to go on splits with one of the assistants. The one I was on splits with is a big Tongan that weighs a good 250 pounds. I definitely was not worried about anyone messing with us haha. But I was able to learn alot from him. He is really good at teaching with the Spirit and the book of Mormon and applying scriptures to the lives of the people. So I was grateful for that experience. We also went to Leon yesterday for a zone meeting and we ended up staying the night there because we are pretty far away from there. We also had another meeting this morning at 8 in the morning for a couple of hours so we were able to practice a bit and get some tips from the zone leaders. While I was in Leon, I also was able to get my package!! Yeah! It was almost like Christmas haha. But thank you for everything that you sent. The camelback looks like it will work really well but I’m thinking you’ll probably have to send me all new white shirts here soon, that protein powder you sent looks pretty intense haha.
Anyways the scripture for this week is Mosiah 23:21-22. (“Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith. Nevertheless- whosever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day.”). It talks about how got tries the faith and patience of his people even when they may be doing everything right. We know that we all learn from these trials though and after every trial, we learn and are strengthened. Also we may be tempted and tried, but we can`t be tempted more than we can handle (1 Cor. 10:13)

Well folks, I love you all and I hope everything still is going good for you all back home!!

Love Elder Price

P.S.
The church is true!!



A view of Guanajuato


A rainbow over Guanajuato







More Guanajuato!














A cool bug


? French toast






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elder Price, It was so fun to read your blog and see all of your great pictures. You have a wonderful family and especially a mom who is preserving all of your mission memories on this blog. Keep up the good work - I can tell you are an awesome missionary (as I expected you would be). Love Mrs. Dance