Hola familia,
How's everything going in good old Pocatello? It’s kind of interesting being here with Elder Smith because we know alot of the same people and the same places in Pocatello. He thinks that Aunt Bonnie was even his bus driver out at Marsh Valley which is pretty funny. But this week we got quite a bit done. We finally found the 2 people who got baptized the weekend before I got here. What happened was for the past 2 Sundays they have been having economic problems and haven’t been able to go to church to get confirmed. The problem we were having was that they were evicted from their apartment and we didn’t know exactly were they moved to. We only knew the name of the street so we went to that street and just started asking everyone if they new this 2 people. We looked for a couple of hours Wednesday and Thursday. We even fasted on Thursday because we knew we needed some help, and then Friday we decided to go look in a little bit different spot that was a little ways away from the street. We found some lady who told us that a young couple had just moved in a couple of houses down so we went and checked it out. It ended up that some family members lived there and the couple had lived there for a few days but then went and moved in with some other family members on the other side of town. So Saturday morning we went and knocked almost the whole colony where they told us they were but we couldn’t find them still. Then later in the afternoon some of our appointments fell through so we decided to go back to the house of the relatives where we originally were and it ended up that they were both there visiting them. So we re-taught the importance of getting the Spirit and they went to church on Sunday and got confirmed. Also we had the 4 baptisms planned for Friday but they didn’t feel ready still so we moved them to Sunday. Sunday came around and we did absolutely everything we could to encourage them to get baptized but only one got baptized, the mom, Silvia. Her son really wanted to get baptized but his wife wasn’t sure still so he decided to wait until she did it. So we definitely need a miracle for her to feel right about it. We are hoping to get them baptized either Friday or Saturday. Also, this Sunday I was lucky enough to "get" to give a talk in church haha. It wasn’t too bad though I just talked about the importance of missionary work and how the members can help us. I really was pretty busy though on Sunday trying to get people confirmed, baptized, and also the talk. One really funny thing that happened this week was we were knocking doors and there was some guy sitting outside of his house on his motor scooter so we decided to contact him of course. I asked if we could share a quick message about God with him. He agreed and said just a second, and then next thing we knew he took off on his scooter and just left us sitting dumbfounded on his lawn. So Elder Smith and I got a good laugh out of that one haha. We probably looked pretty confused watching him drive away. Another random thing that happened was the family we are trying to get baptized bought us some root beer because they lived in Texas for a while and know how much Americans like rootbeer haha. So that was sure a treat I haven’t had any of that in a good 5 months. This last week has been pretty interesting for Elder Smith as well because on Monday we ate these things called gorditas which are kind of like pitas. I guess the chicken was bad or something because I got a little sick one morning but Elder Smith has been sick all of last week haha. But it’s finally going away so I think he’s pretty grateful for that haha. Also I found out that 6 of the people I was teaching in Guanajuato got baptized including 5 of the 8 people we brought to church my last week there so that is always fun to find out.
Scripture of the week. In 3 Nephi 11:10-11 (“Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world. And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning.”)
it talks about how Jesus Christ drank of the bitter cup to pay for our sins. In Alma 40:26, (“But behold, an awful death cometh upon the wicked; for they die as to things pertaining to things of righteousness; for they are unclean, and no unclean thing can inherit the kingdom of God; but they are cast out, and consigned to partake of the fruits of their labors or their works, which have been evil; and they drink the dregs of a bitter cup.”) it says that if we don’t repent, we have to drink of the bitter cup. So it’s important that we repent in this life and that we use Christ’s atonement or else we have to pay for our own sins.
I know this church is true and that what we’re doing here really does matter because we are giving the people here the opportunity to take advantage of Christ’s atonement so they don’t have to pay for their own sins. I love you all keep doing what you’re doing.
Elder Price
No comments:
Post a Comment