Monday, August 23, 2010

6 Months!

August 23, 2010

Wow can you believe that 6 months has come and gone already? I sure can’t haha it seems like I just left the MTC. This week went fairly well for us. We had a pretty cool experience this past week, I think it was Tuesday, but we were walking up this gully to get from one hill to the other and my companion had a feeling we should knock this random house that was made out of tin. So we went and knocked it and a lady came out and started talking to us and invited us in. We got talking, and it ended up that her family was a less-active family that had been baptized a few years ago in Guadalajara. She told us that the whole family had been baptized so we figured we would just try and get them to come back to church, but then a little ways through the lesson, I felt prompted to re-confirm that everyone had been baptized so I specifically asked if her son Jorge had been baptized. She explained that in fact, he had not been baptized. Apparently he was about to get baptized in Guadalajara but the missionaries got transferred and he got forgotten in the confusion. So we have been teaching him this week and might be able to baptize him this week if we can get permission. As well, another young family we found about 2 weeks ago went to church with us yesterday. This was another little miracle because yesterday, we had 9 people that had committed to assist church with us. We went to everyone of their houses but they all fell through because either the people were sleeping (we have church at 9) or they "commitments" that came up. This included the family of 3 that we were supposed to baptize this week. So we were feeling a little bit discouraged so we went and stopped by the last family before we went to the church and this little family of the husband, wife, child of about 3 and baby of about 1 were all ready to go. This is like an elder’s dream come true haha. Saturday, I also learned the importance of good doctors. I had been having a little bit of chest pain for about a week and I mentioned it to the president and he told me I should go get it checked out. So we went to this pharmacy called farmacias similares. The motto of this place is something along the lines of "the same care, but for less." This place charges about $2.50 for a consultation so we went and got me checked out. The doctor diagnosed me with low blood pressure and a low heart rate and wrote me a prescription to raise my blood pressure. My companion called the president and told him what we found out and the president was a little bit angry with us that we went to a doctor that charged us $2.50 and told us to go to a cardiologist. So we went and just like most real doctors, haha, we had to wait like 2 hours to get in. He did some tests and an electric cardiogram and told me that my heart is perfectly fine. I just naturally have a lower blood pressure and that the pain I’ve been feeling is nerves in my ribs because apparently I’m growing haha. So I definitely felt alot better knowing that I was healthy and as well, my appreciation for good doctors increased haha.
So we were feeling pretty good about that afterwards. The family really seemed to enjoy the services and they fit in pretty well and they told us they were going to come to church with us the next Sunday as well. But this transfer has sure flown by. Supposedly I will be getting a new companion next week as my companion has been having some knee-problems this past week so i'll have to let you all known all about who it is next week.
My scripture for this week is one I like to give during meals with members. It is John 3:16 which everyone knows says that God so loved the world that he gave his only Begotten Son. After I share this I like to say something about how the way that we can show our love for God is found in John 14:15 which says if ye love me, keep my commandments. I like this scripture because it is a good way to show people that if we are grateful to God and the sacrifice of his Son, we need to be obedient to his commandments. Anyways, love you all!!!

p.s. the church is true!!!


Elder Price

No comments: